Michael G. Sexton, Attorney at Law
- Personal Injury
- Social Security Disability
- Veterans Disability
- Employment Discrimination
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Juris Doctor (Top 20% of class and Pro Bono Honors) Florida Coastal School of Law, Jacksonville, FL
- Florida Coastal School of Law Immigrant Rights Clinic, Jacksonville, FL
- Bachelor of Arts, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
U.S. Court of Appeals for Veteran’s Claims
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Board Certified Social Security Disability Advocacy Attorney by National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Mr. Sexton was selected by NOSSCR to speak before National Social Security disability attorneys in May of 2014 on the topic of “Immigration Issues in Social Security Disability”.
- In addition, in February of 2015 he was selected by the American Association for Justice to speak on the Basics of Social Security Disability Law.
His Story/Past Work & Experience
Attorney Michael G. Sexton has experience representing hundreds of claimants in hearings before Social Security Administrative Law Judges. In addition, he has filed appeals with the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR), Appeals Council in Falls Church, Virginia, and the United States District Court of the Middle District of Florida.
He has also successfully represented plaintiffs who have employment discrimination cases in the U.S. District Court, and successfully resolved discrimination cases at mediation.
Prior to joining our team of attorneys at Avard Law Offices, Michael had already gained a substantial amount of immigration and criminal law experience. He is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) as well.
Michael received his J.D. degree from Florida Coastal School of Law where he worked in the Florida Coastal School of Law Immigrant Rights Clinic. He studied abroad at the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in San Jose, Costa Rica with Santa Clara School of Law.
He was often on the dean’s list, received an honors book award in criminal procedure, and was a pro bono honors recipient. He has a B.A. in English Literature from Florida State University.
Since joining Avard Law Offices and the Immigrant Rights Clinic, he has represented asylum applicants in proceedings before the Department of Homeland Security and Executive Office of Immigration Review.
He has been the lead clinician in multiple political asylum proceedings, handling the direct questioning of witnesses and the closing statement in removal hearings. He has also assisted in fact gathering, research and analysis, motions, memorandum of law, counseling clients and witness preparation.
Michael has represented applicants at their interviews with Adjudicating Asylum Officers at the Department of Homeland Security. He has prepared and filed asylum denial rebuttals, U-Visa petitions, applications for N-648 Medical Disability Waivers, and FOIA requests.
In addition, he has been an Assistant Public Defender in Hillsborough County, Florida where his duties included representing defendants in court at evidentiary and adjudicatory hearings challenging probable cause issues at preliminary presentation court, as well as challenging Baker Act petitions.
Also during his time with the Hillsborough County, FL Public Defender’s Office he represented hundreds of juveniles in delinquency court. Michael’s wealth of experience has contributed greatly to our office and continues to be a defining factor in winning our clients’ cases.
In addition, in 2018 Michael became a Board Certified Social Security Disability Advocacy Attorney by The National Board of Trial Advocacy.